Apple cider vinegar is the most popular type of vinegar preferred for natural health. It has numerous benefits, many of which are supported by scientific evidence. Among the benefits of apple cider vinegar; Significant benefits include speeding up weight loss, lowering cholesterol, fighting infections, controlling blood sugar, and alleviating other symptoms of diabetes.
Apple cider vinegar contains only three calories per tablespoon. There are not many vitamins or minerals in it. There is only a small amount of potassium. A quality apple cider vinegar also contains some amino acids and antioxidant substances. Apple cider vinegar; has a long history as a traditional home remedy used in different areas such as sore throat relief, fever reduction, and wound cleansing.
Apple cider vinegar is a widely consumed medicinal product. It can be added to salads and sauces to add flavor. It is also a very good disinfectant. It has a germicidal effect. It is very effective against nail fungus and warts. It has been used for healing throughout history. It is known that Hippocrates, the father of medicine, used apple cider vinegar for wound cleansing two thousand years ago. It contains many beneficial minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, calcium, and magnesium as well as vitamins A, B, C, and E. Apple cider vinegar is very beneficial for slimming, lowering cholesterol, blood sugar, and diabetes.
What is apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is made by fermenting apples. Thus, it turns into acetic acid, which is the active substance in it. When the starch and acid in the apple meet with the vinegar, it is easily fermented. As a result, apple cider vinegar is formed. It has a wide range of uses and has many benefits for health. ( 1 )
It is recommended to use a maximum of two times during the day, in the morning and evening. Do not use it for medical purposes without informing your doctor.
How is apple cider vinegar made?
Apple cider vinegar comes ready in a two-step process. The first step is to leave the crushed apples and their skins to ferment. During fermentation, sugars in the content of apples turn into alcohol fermenting. The alcohol concentration in the environment rises to 11-13%. Later, the formed ethyl alcohol is converted into acetic acid by acetic acid bacteria. The amount of acetic acid required in the vinegar to be sold is determined by the laws and regulations of the relevant country. In batch fermentation, acetic acid bacteria grow on the surface of the liquid and form a membrane. This layer formed by acetic acid bacteria is called the vinegar mother. Acetic acid production is carried out by the mother of vinegar formed on the surface. Some people, state that the substance that makes apple cider vinegar healthy is the ‘mother of vinegar, a cloud of yeast and bacteria. The mother of vinegar is probiotic. As a matter of fact, it can support the digestive system. However, there is not enough research to support other claims linking the positive effects of apple cider vinegar to the mother of vinegar.
In summary, the main ingredients of apple cider vinegar include:
- Acetic acid
- Citric acid
The nutritional components of apple cider vinegar include:
Health benefits of apple cider vinegar
So what are the health benefits of apple cider vinegar? This almost magic vinegar can do many things for your health. Let’s start with a list and then go into more detail with those that will help you live a healthier life, okay?
Health benefits of apple cider vinegar …
- Apple cider vinegar is a natural laxative and can improve digestion.
- It lowers blood sugar
- Increases insulin sensitivity
- Increases satiety and helps people lose weight
- Decreases belly fat
- It lowers cholesterol
- It lowers blood pressure and improves heart health
- Apple cider vinegar can be used for skin health
- Apple cider vinegar is good for gut health
- Apple cider vinegar can reduce dandruff in hair
- Good for migraines
- Provides the body’s pH balance
- Purifies fruits and vegetables from microorganisms
- It has positive effects on polycystic ovary syndrome.
- It prevents and reduces the risk of developing cancer and slows the growth of cancer cells.
What are the benefits of apple cider vinegar?
Many people believe that apple cider vinegar has numerous benefits. These are the starting points; digestive problems, skin problems, preventing weight gain, reducing dandruff, and heart health benefits. Although apple cider vinegar has many benefits supported by scientific research, there are also unproven cases.
There are many benefits of using apple cider vinegar, which contains protein, enzyme, and probiotic bacterial fibers; however, the use of apple cider vinegar will not have a big impact unless you take other steps towards your health. For example, a balanced healthy diet, diet routine, and exercise should not be neglected, considering that apple cider vinegar provides weight loss. Some of the benefits of apple cider vinegar include:
1. Skin benefits of apple cider vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar has an important place in skin cleansing. If you clean your face with a mixture of a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a glass of water, acne spots, blackheads and acne will disappear.
- You can find a solution with sunspots that cause a big problem on your skin. When you mix some into your bath water, you will get beneficial results if you shower regularly. ( 2 )
- Apple cider vinegar is great for reducing edema in the hands and feet. Vinegar helps kill pathogens, including bacteria. When you rest your feet in vinegar water for a while, both calluses and edema will decrease.
2. The effect of apple cider vinegar on hair
Apple cider vinegar is also very beneficial for hair. It is recommended for those who have hair loss problems. It is also recommended to be used for healthy and vibrant hair. The thing you need to do for this is very simple. Mix 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and apply to your hair. After 5 minutes, rinse. This application, which you will do once a week, will help you have healthier and more vibrant hair.
3. The effect of apple cider vinegar on diabetes / Helps control blood sugar levels
Apple cider vinegar blood sugar lowers the levels and diabetes mellitus (diabetes) contributes to the regression. High blood sugar is also a major problem in people without diabetes and is an important risk factor for aging and various chronic diseases. ( 3 ) Anyone who wants to live a healthy life should keep blood sugar levels within normal ranges.
One of the healthiest ways to do this is to use apple cider vinegar. Diamond vinegar increases insulin sensitivity by 19-34% during a high-carb meal and significantly reduces blood sugar and insulin responses. Consuming 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before going to bed can reduce fasting blood sugar by 4% in the morning. ( 4 )
Many other studies in humans have shown that vinegar can reduce insulin function and blood sugar levels after meals. For this reason, apple cider vinegar has a very beneficial effect on people with diabetes. However, if you are still taking blood sugar lowering medications, always consult your doctor before using apple cider vinegar. ( 5 )
Apple cider vinegar has been proven to have a positive effect on weight loss.
4. Does apple cider vinegar weaken? and helps with weight loss
Apple cider vinegar helps you lose weight and reduce belly fat. Scientific studies have shown that it can aid weight loss. Apple cider vinegar has been shown to increase feelings of fullness, reduce calories, and aid weight loss. For example, if people eat vinegar along with a high-carb meal, the feeling of fullness increases and they consume 200-275 fewer calories for the rest of the day. ( 6 )
In a scientific study conducted on 175 overweight people, it was shown that regular consumption of a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar daily for 3 months caused weight loss. However, it may not be healthy to try to lose weight with apple cider vinegar alone. Remember that all diets also require a lifestyle change. For this reason, it is beneficial to use it in consultation with the doctor.
5. The effect of apple cider vinegar on colds and flu
Apple cider vinegar is good for sore throats and cough, especially respiratory diseases. Apple cider vinegar, which softens the breast for flu and colds, is perfect to get over these diseases lightly. ( 7 ) What you need to do for this; is to consume by mixing a tablespoon of diamond vinegar, a teaspoon of honey, and a very small amount of ginger in a glass of warm water. Even if you do not drink this mixture, gargle with your throat and you can see its effect in a short time.
6. The effects of apple cider vinegar on heart health
Apple Cider Vinegar Lowers Cholesterol and Benefits Heart Health. According to many scientific studies, apple cider vinegar lowers cholesterol and triglyceride levels, along with some other heart disease risk factors. In addition, there are some scientific studies showing that vinegar reduces high blood pressure. ( 8 )
A study conducted at Harvard Medical School showed that women who consumed vinegar as a salad dressing had a reduced risk of heart disease. Again, some human studies show that apple cider vinegar can lower blood sugar levels, increase insulin sensitivity, and help fight diabetes. These factors should also reduce the risk of heart disease.
7. Apple cider vinegar protect against cancer
Some studies have shown that diamond vinegar has protective effects against cancer. Cancer is a disease that develops with the uncontrolled growth of cells. Numerous studies have shown that various types of vinegar slow the growth of cancer cells.
However, all of these studies have been done in test tubes or in isolated cells in mice. Therefore, although it is difficult to say that it will show the same effect on humans, apple cider vinegar is a healing product that positively affects general health. However, according to some observational studies in humans, vinegar consumption decreased the rate of esophageal cancer in China.
8. Drinking apple cider vinegar for digestion
As I mentioned earlier, apple cider vinegar improves digestion. Drinking apple cider vinegar for digestion …
- Get rid of heartburn
- Reduce swelling
- Improves overall digestion.
Let me tell you that discomfort and pain are not normal. When we feel pain and discomfort after eating, we must listen to our body and understand that something is not quite right. Maybe we ate too much or our digestive system is not working properly.
Correct digestion means proper acid levels in the stomach so nutrients in our food can be absorbed. Without enough acid, food doesn’t break down properly and nutrients are not assimilated, which can lead to digestive issues as I mentioned. Or more serious ones.
Drinking apple cider vinegar for digestion means increasing acid production. This leads to proper digestion. Simple, right?
9. Apple cider vinegar kills bacteria
Vinegar, which has been used as a disinfecting tool for centuries, has been used in the treatment of many problems such as lice, warts, fungus, ear infections. Although its direct effect has not been proven by research, Hippocrates, one of the representatives of modern medicine, used vinegar for wound cleansing 2,000 years ago.
10. It prevents the formation of acne, it is a natural face tonic.
When it comes to the benefits of apple cider vinegar, one of the first things that come to mind is skincare. One of the most well-known effects of vinegar, which has been used quite frequently in skincare lately, is that when applied to the skin diluted with water, it heals acne. Although it does not have a scientifically proven effect, it is a method used by many people. It also acts as a tonic for skin cleansing in general.
11. It may good for migraine
Migraine attacks that cause intense headaches can sometimes take hours. Apple cider vinegar is also used by many people to treat migraines. Regular use of the apple cider vinegar mixture you will prepare is very effective in the treatment of migraines. The important point is that you should consult your doctor for other effects that may occur on your body before applying such a method. In our list of what is good for migraine, you can take a look at natural methods and foods that are good for migraine other than apple cider vinegar.
12. Cleans your body of toxins
Helping to balance the pH level of your body, apple cider vinegar acts as a tonic. It provides intestinal motility and helps fat metabolism as it directly affects the liver.
13. It may Whitens teeth
Apple cider vinegar reduces tea, coffee, and cigarette stains on your teeth when you rub and rinse your teeth and do this regularly. It makes your teeth look whiter. Teeth whitening is one of the best-known benefits of apple cider vinegar.
14. It may good for reflux
Apple cider vinegar is good for those with reflux problems as it will balance stomach acid and balance the pH level.
15. Provides the body’s pH balance
It is necessary to maintain the balance of pH (7.4) required for our body chemistry to be healthy and our body functions to function properly. Apple cider vinegar also helps with this. In addition, the normal pH value of the hair and scalp is around 5.5. Normal shampoos reduce the pH of the hair, making the hair drier and brittle, while apple cider vinegar helps the hair reach its average pH. To apply apple cider vinegar to your hair, you can mix 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 2 glasses of water in an old shampoo bottle and apply it to your hair after each shampooing. You should definitely rinse your hair. Washing your hair with apple cider vinegar will be as effective as drinking apple cider vinegar.
16. It is good for sunburn and skin irritation
Another of the benefits of apple cider vinegar is its ability to soothe and soothe sunburned skin. Skin-friendly apple cider vinegar helps protect the skin thanks to the acids it contains. It plays an active role in the treatment of scars, prevents the proliferation of bacteria that cause acne. It has almost miraculous effects on the skin.
Another feature of apple cider vinegar is that it combats sweat odor. People with sweat odor problems can rub a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar on their armpits. If you are complaining about foot odor, you can add 500 ml of apple cider vinegar to 2 liters of water and keep your feet in this mixture. If you want to use less amount, you can prepare a mixture of 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water.
If you suffer from ingrown hairs, you can apply approximately 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the problem area with the help of cotton.
17. Purifies fruits and vegetables from microorganisms.
Dust and dirt, especially on greens, can cause serious health problems in the body. Washing fruits and vegetables with vinegar help them to be thoroughly cleaned. The recommended amount for this is to be prepared by adding 1 glass of vinegar to 3 glasses of water.
18. Prevents food from spoiling quickly
The benefits of apple cider vinegar are numerous, but one of the most important of them is that it prevents food from spoiling quickly.
19. Being rich in acids, apple cider vinegar has strong biological effects.
Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid, lactic acid, succinic acid, and citric acid. 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar contains about 3 calories. Apple cider vinegar, which is very low in calories and contains beneficial acids, protects our body biologically by killing many of the harmful bacteria. Therefore, we can add the strong biological effects of apple cider vinegar to the benefits of drinking vinegar.
20. Has positive effects on polycystic ovary syndrome.
Polycystic ovary syndrome, which is a hormonal disorder seen in women and manifests itself with symptoms such as not having menstruation for a long time, is a problem many women face. In such cases, regular consumption of apple cider vinegar can help prevent polycystic ovary syndrome or alleviate its symptoms. As a result of a study that lasted for 3 weeks, it was observed that the hormone levels of women who drank apple cider vinegar by mixing 1 tablespoon of 100 ml of water every day after dinner improved and their menstrual periods became more regular. For this reason, you can add a certain amount of apple cider vinegar or grape vinegar to your daily meal by consulting your doctor and observe its effects.
Dosage: How much apple cider vinegar should I drink or consume in a day
The best way to include apple cider vinegar in your diet is to use it in meals. (salad dressings, mayonnaise) Some people like to drink apple cider vinegar diluted with water. Common doses range from 1–2 teaspoons (5-10 ml) to 1–2 tablespoons (15-30 ml). It is mixed with a glass of water. It is best to start with small doses and avoid taking large amounts.
How to prepare apple cider vinegar at home?
If you want to make apple cider vinegar yourself at home, you can prepare it with the fermenting method by paying attention to the tips in this recipe. It will be easier for you to produce vinegar again with the vinegar mother you will obtain later. Necessary materials:
- 3 liters of drinking water
- 4 tablespoons of honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 large apples
- Cut the peeled apples in quarters and remove the pitted parts.
- Put the apple slices in a clean and dry glass jar and pour 3 liters of water on it.
- Add 3 spoons of viscous honey with a tablespoon and mix, cover the jar with a cotton cheesecloth and tighten with a rope.
- Leave it in a dark room without sun for 1.5 months and mix it with a wooden spoon every other day in the first days and then once a week.
- Over time, you will see that the apple slices on the upper part of the jar become wrinkled, there are vinegar flies around and you will smell the vinegar.
- After these symptoms, when the vinegar begins to ferment, strain and discard the apple pulp.
- Take the strained vinegar back into the glass jar and add some honey and salt, then mix, close the lid and keep it in a cool place.
- Apple cider vinegar is ready to use when a white transparent foam called the mother of vinegar forms on the jar and there is a pungent smell.
How is apple cider vinegar used in household cleaning?
Apple cider vinegar has an important place in household cleaning and hygiene as well as being beneficial for health. Especially in kitchens, apple cider vinegar, which was used to purify dishes before the dishwasher, is also used today to get rid of germs. If the dishes are left in apple cider vinegar for a while after washing them, they will be cleaner and shiny.
Side effects and harm of apple cider vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar contains a high concentration of citric acid. Therefore, it should be used by diluting with water. Otherwise, it can damage the esophagus and cells. Indirect contact with the skin may cause irritation and redness. In order not to cause skin irritation, it should be used by adding some water or honey.
- The acid contained in it may cause the potassium level to drop. This effect negatively affects the mineral level in the bones. In order to avoid such side effects, it is recommended to be consumed in dilution.
- Apple cider vinegar can have negative effects on people who use insulin and diuretic medications. Apple cider vinegar can reduce the effectiveness of such medicines. Apple cider vinegar has a direct effect on blood sugar. Therefore, people who are being treated for such diseases should be careful not to use apple cider vinegar without consulting a doctor.
- How much apple cider vinegar is consumed may differ from person to person. While 1 cup is beneficial in some bodies, 1 cup of vinegar may cause negative effects in somebodies. Therefore, the consumption amount should be carefully adjusted.
- Although it has positive effects on teeth and gums, it can have the opposite effect in excessive use. If it is used for teeth and gums, it should be used by diluting with water.
- It may cause problems such as burning in the stomach, rancidity, diarrhea, and indigestion due to the contents it contains. People who have digestive problems or have a disease related to the digestive system and use medication, for this reason, should be careful when consuming apple cider vinegar.