If you exercise regularly, make healthy food choices, and don’t see scale growth, it may be time to evaluate your body fat percentage. Measuring body fat is just as important as measuring your total weight when trying to lose weight. This is because healthy habits like exercise can build muscle. Increasing muscle mass can keep the scales the same, or in some cases, increase even if you’re losing fat and getting tighter. One way to evaluate your progress is to hit the body fat monitors. While these aren’t the only ways to determine healthy body weight, measuring your body fat can help you determine if your weight loss efforts are working.
If you’re not trying to lose weight, a body fat monitors can still help you figure out if you have a healthy fat-to-muscle ratio. Body fat scales aren’t entirely foolproof, but they are just a few of the options for measuring your body fat between visits with your doctor or personal trainer.
Benefits of Body Fat Monitors
- Monitor Body Fat: Increased training often results in the loss of body fat. While many of us can benefit from losing some of our body fat, you want to be careful not to lose too much. Too little body fat can cause muscle weakness, lead to fatigue, predispose you to injury, and cause abortion in women.
- Maintain Muscle Mass: Ideally, you want to reduce body fat and increase muscle mass during training. If your muscle mass is declining, you should reevaluate your exercise program and add strength training and/or plyometric exercises.
- Optimize Daily Water Intake: Body water ratios are higher in lean tissue than adipose tissue. Knowing your stats is a good indicator of how healthy your body is. This is especially important for athletes who train because dehydration greatly hinders performance.
- Monitor Bone Density: High-impact exercises like running help build and maintain bone density. If your bone mass is lower than before, this may be an indication of a problem.
10 Best Body Fat Monitors of 2022
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Here’s our process.
Making positive lifestyle changes can start with health and wellness. If you’re looking for physical measures to help you on your journey, body fat monitors can offer data to support your goals. While many people overly focus on weight and body mass index (BMI) as indicators of health, experts say body fat percentage tells more about a person’s health.
Body fat monitors are reasonably priced and fit easily in the bathroom corner or in your gym bag. “When choosing a body fat monitor, it’s important to choose one that fits your lifestyle,” says Kim Mahony, LDN, Corporate Manager of Lutheran Life Communities Nutrition Services. He notes that they all have accuracy limitations, but as long as you measure using the same method each time, you should be safe.
I explain that even if a method or tool isn’t 100% accurate, you can track your body composition over time, which will help you set personal goals.
Here are the 10 best body fat monitors on Amazon.
- RENPHO Body Fat Scale and RENPHO Smart Tape Measure Body
- Omron HBF-306C Handheld Body Fat Loss Monitor
- WYZE Smart Scale, Body Fat Scale
- Accu-Measure Fitness 3000 Body Fat Caliper
- AnthroFlex Manual with Charts to Measure and Calculate Body Fat Percentage
- Withings Body+ – Digital Wi-Fi Smart Body Fat, BMI, Water Percentage Scale
- Tanita BF-679 Body Fat/Body Water Scale
- Lightstuff Precision Skinfold Caliper
- INEVIFIT Smart Body Fat Scale
- Body Fat Caliper and Measuring Tape for Body
1. RENPHO Body Fat Scale and RENPHO Smart Tape Measure Body
4.9 out of 5 stars (44)
If you’re an athlete, this may not be the right product for you, but if you’re looking for an affordable smart scale to help you keep track of your fitness, this is a good option.
The Renpho basic smart balance is attractive, reliable, and has more than enough measurements for the average person. There are a few features you might miss out on when you buy it, like rug support and a scaled display of multiple measurements, but unless you’re an avid FitBit or Withings user and want a scale designed to work in this ecosystem, there’s no need to pay more.
Get Accurate Readings
With the easy-lock hook function, you only need to measure once to get an accurate reading.
Efficiently Record Your Measurements
Save a snapshot of your body proportions in the RENPHO app via Bluetooth
Body Composition Analysis
Calculate your waist-hip ratio automatically and gain new insights about your body health
Personalized Data Trends
Track your body transformation with real-time graphs that provide more information over time
A Healthy Precaution for Parents
See your child’s growth or monitor your baby bump during pregnancy to monitor progress
2. Omron HBF-306C Handheld Body Fat Loss Monitor
4.4 out of 5 stars (4330)
The Omron Fat Loss Monitor is a simple device that looks pretty easy to use, even from afar. It has two handles that pass electrical currents through them, but only in minimal amounts that will be harmful to you. These currents continue to analyze your body’s consistency and let you know what you are weighing.
The arms are similar to what you see on a treadmill. The analysis tells you what percent of your weight is fat, muscle, the water content in your body, and your BMI. It displays the results on a small screen so you have enough information to take action. Before this invention, only a certified doctor would give these results.
For efficiency, it is recommended to use the machine at the same time you used it the previous day.
In addition, since the machine passes electric current, it is not recommended to use by pregnant women and people with pacemakers. Otherwise, it is safe for people who do not fall into these two categories.
3. WYZE Smart Scale, Body Fat Scale
4.7 out of 5 stars (19,234)
Although its companion app has limited features, the Wyze scale is great for those who want to better track their body composition and fitness journey. It’s also ideal for people who are more concerned about their weight and want to learn more about their overall health.
Overall, the Wyze Scale is an affordable and effective way to measure 12 different metrics of your body. It will help you increase your awareness and motivation about your fitness level and progress. App and sync feature also allows you to access your data from anywhere, which is extremely convenient.
4. Accu-Measure Fitness 3000 Body Fat Caliper
4.1 out of 5 stars (3,409)
If you have a friend, family member, or trainer who can help you measure your body fat percentage with skinfold calipers, go ahead and get this very affordable wellness tool. Used by fitness professionals around the world, skin calipers offer a simple way to measure subcutaneous fat in both men and women.3
Think of it as an oil-specific measuring tape. These calipers are lightweight, easily portable, and very simple to use. It is also certified by the World Federation of Natural Bodybuilding as the first fat caliper measuring tool on the market. What’s more, people less tech-savvy tend to opt for manual options like this.
Best Body Fat Monitors For Professional
5. AnthroFlex Manual with Charts to Measure and Calculate Body Fat Percentage
4.8 out of 5 stars (68)
The Lange Skinfold Caliper is an instrument specially designed for simplicity and accuracy in terms of skinfold measurement. The Lange line of body fat calipers is made by Beta Technology, a company widely accepted by fitness and medical professionals as a leader in the field.
- Excellent build quality. The durability and high-quality construction of Lange brand body fat meters are some of the reasons why they are highly recommended by fitness professionals and even medical professionals around the world.
- Exceptional accuracy. There’s no doubt that the biggest selling point of Lange leather-fold calipers is accuracy. The company even added the 5-step calibration block to ensure precise body fat measurements are maintained.
You can expect to get what you pay for with the Lange Skinfold Caliper. The price for this device might be high but it makes up for its impressive construction and outstanding accuracy.
6. Withings Body+ – Digital Wi-Fi Smart Body Fat, BMI, Water Percentage Scale
4.5 out of 5 stars (22,310)
This body fat tracking scale is a great option for tech-savvy users looking for both goal-setting help and a sense of responsibility. It uses bioelectrical impedance to analyze your entire body composition, stores data on up to eight people, and automatically recognizes them when they’re on the scale.2 It then syncs with the Health Mate app, which monitors all these wellness data points. over time you don’t have to save anything manually.
Connecting to the app and setting up the scale is simple and easy, and the app packs a host of special features for anyone who really wants to explore many aspects of their health.
7. Tanita BF-679 Body Fat/Body Water Scale
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,123)
Going back to the basics, the Tanita scale shows the primary metrics you need directly on the scale’s screen, so you can quickly check your fitness progress and then continue with the rest of your day. Using bioelectrical impedance, the scale accurately calculates your total body weight, plus your body fat percentage and body water level. It also includes a weight-only feature for those who prefer it.
The scale can remember data from two users uploaded by pressing one of the two buttons on the side panel and instantly comparing their readings within healthy ranges based on user-reported age and gender. There is also a guest mode that allows anyone to use the balance without affecting the information already assigned to the personal keys.
8. Lightstuff Precision Skinfold Caliper
4.3 out of 5 stars (606)
Similar to Accu-Measure’s calipers, this manual tool helps you get a clear picture of your body fat levels so you can set and meet appropriate health and wellness goals. However, because many people are not familiar with or comfortable with the skinfold assessment method, this particular tool comes with a quick start guide to help prepare even the most novice for success.
You can also count on the spring-loaded mechanism to be properly calibrated to apply consistent pressure measurement after measurement, giving you accurate readings every time you use it. This caliper tool comes with a 100% money-back guarantee, so there is little risk in trying it.
9. INEVIFIT Smart Body Fat Scale
4.7 out of 5 stars (1,444)
INEVIFIT Smart Body Fat Scale, High Precision Bluetooth Digital Bath Body Composition Analyzer Measures Weight, Body Fat, Water, Muscle, Visceral Fat, and Bone Mass for Unlimited Users.
INEVIFIT APP seamlessly syncs your smartphone with the balance. It can store an unlimited number of user profiles based on your age, height, gender, activity level, and bio-electrical impedance to ensure you get accurate results every time. Easy-to-read charts clearly show your progress, and detailed body composition information lets you understand exactly what your results mean. You can also track your weight, body fat percentage, Muscle Mass, BMI, Visceral Fat. INEVIFIT Scales are covered by us against any manufacturing defects your body scale may present for five years. 7-Day US Support.
10. Body Fat Caliper and Measuring Tape for Body
4.0 out of 5 stars (3,528)
Now it has never been easier to accurately measure your body fat easily and from the comfort of your home.
Struggling with other body fat percentage tools? Are you ready to feel great and take control of your health with this powerful weight loss aid? Then you need MEDca’s newly designed body fat caliper and measuring tape. Our caliper measuring tool has a ball seat and slide ruler so you can measure your body fat quickly and accurately. Simply move the slide rule to the right, pinch your skin fold, tighten the measuring jaws until the ball seat snaps into place, and check your results.
Simple, Accurate, Fast Guaranteed for a More Effective Diet!
The problem with other body fat meter kits is that they’re made of cheap materials that won’t give you an accurate reading. Our body fat meter solves that problem! Why? This is because our body fat analyzer is made of durable materials and includes an easy-to-read chart meaning you will always get an accurate reading.
Buying Guide for Body Fat Monitors
Body fat monitors are used to measure the amount of body fat in an individual. Technically, body fat monitors can be used to calculate total body fat, but it’s more common to discuss body fat percentages and body fat levels in terms of a person’s fat mass and lean mass. Body fat percentage is the percentage of total body mass made up of body fat. Body fat levels are intermediate steps between total body fat and lean body mass percentages.
Factors to Consider Before Purchasing Body Fat Monitors
- Display: This should be large and clear so it is easy to read while standing on the scale. Some have a wireless display unit that can be mounted on the wall for easier viewing.
- Displayed Data: This should be easy to understand and remain on the screen long enough to be easily read. Some models send information quickly to the past, so it is difficult to track. Ideally, you should be able to re-display the data without having to weigh yourself again.
- Controls: These should be clearly labeled and easy to use. Programming the scales should be simple.
- Can Be Used On Carpet: Useful if you don’t have hard floors. Scales often do not measure weight effectively when placed on the carpet.
The bottom line
Most of the models in the test show other information, such as BMI and body composition information (muscle mass, bone mass, and water), which can be useful if you’re trying to build muscle, for example. Some also show goals based on your personal information (age, height, and gender) and measured weight and body fat (such as recommended target weight or daily kilocalorie intake).
To learn more about your purchasing options, take a look at some of the best products we’ve listed in our featured section above. They are reviewed and recommended based on their quality, performance, and durability.
Be sure to consider all of these factors and use this guide as a starting point to find a body fat scale that suits your needs. Talk to your doctor about your BMI, and how you can best measure and track your body composition.
You May Also Like>>
- 10 Best Weight Scale 2022| For the Most Accurate Scale
- 10 Best Bathroom Scale Under $30 With Body Fat Measurement
- 10 Best Mechanical Bathroom Scales USA 2022
- Best cheap massage gun on amazon under $100
- Goonasegaran AR, Nabila FN, Shuhada NS. Comparison of the effectiveness of body mass index and body fat percentage in defining body composition. Singapore Med J. 2012;53(6):403-8.
- Khalil SF, Mohktar MS, Ibrahim F. The theory and fundamentals of bioimpedance analysis in clinical status monitoring and diagnosis of diseases. Sensors (Basel). 2014;14(6):10895-10928. Published 2014 Jun 19. doi:10.3390/s140610895
- Eaton-Evans J. Nutritional Assessment: Anthropometry. Encyclopedia of Human Nutrition. 3rd. 2013;227-232. doi:10.1016/B978-0-12-375083-9.00197-5
- About adult BMI. (2017).
- Assessing your weight and health risk. (n.d.).
- Broeder CE, et al. (1997). Assessing body composition before and after resistance or endurance training.
- DXA/DEXA beats BMI: Using an x-ray exam to measure body composition and fat loss. (2015).
- Health risks of being overweight. (2015).
- How accurate are body fat scales? (2013).
- Kuriyan R. (2018). Body composition techniques. DOI:
- Lee JJ, et al. (2016). Association of changes in abdominal fat and cardiovascular risk factors. DOI:
- Radley D, et al. (2009). Validity of foot-to-foot bio-electrical impendance analysis body composition estimates in overweight and obese children.
- van Marken Lichtenbelt WD, et al. (2004). Body composition changes in bodybuilders: A method of comparison.