What does vitamin D do? Necessary controls on vitamin-D, which has many health benefits, should be done regularly. Otherwise, various problems may be encountered.
There are actually many reasons why I want to write about vitamin D, which has become the most widely spoken and well-known vitamin in our country. I can list these reasons as vitamin D deficiency in almost everyone in our country and vitamin D being a very important element for a healthy life.
What is vitamin D in this article? From the question, what is sunbathing and vitamin D production, how is vitamin D used? I will touch on many issues from the question to vitamin D deficiency and answer the questions.
If you are ready we go!
What is Vitamin D?
VitaminD is an essential element in the group of essential vitamins that interacts with foods and becomes a hormone within the body and is essential for many body functions.
Although I have made the essential definition before, it is worth repeating. Essential is used for substances that cannot be produced in the body and must be taken from outside.
Vitamin-D is transformed within the body and becomes active after this conversion. I will list these steps below.
- Vitamin-D produces 25-hydroxy vitamin D on the liver. This component may also appear as 25 (OH) D. The 25 (OH) D structure is expressed as the storage state of vitamin D in the body.
- Subsequently, 25 (OH) D-mostly- comes on the kidney and becomes 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D. This component is also referred to as 1.25 (OH) 2D. The 1,25 (OH) 2D form of vitamin D is the active hormone form in the body.
The active steroid hormone form then enters the cell and fulfills its function.
Symptoms of vitamin D deficiency
The definitive diagnosis of vitamin D deficiency is of course possible with blood tests. But when I think about the vitamin D deficiency in our country, you should definitely contribute to the diagnosis process. For this reason, I shared the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency in my video below.
In this way, you can suspect vitamin D deficiency and consult your doctor.
What is its importance for the body?
- Vitamin D is necessary for absorption from the kidneys as well as for the absorption of the active form calcitriol, calcium, and phosphorus from the intestines. Blood calcium, whose loss from the body is prevented, prevents muscle cramps.
- It is an immune system regulator. Especially in autoimmune diseases, vitamin D storage in the body is important.
- It is important for Multiple Sclerosis (MS) patients and scientific studies have shown that vitamin D levels are low in MS patients.
- It reduces the frequency and severity of asthma symptoms.
- It is important for healthy bone development, bone, and dental health
- The effect of reducing the risk of catching a cold is controversial.
What does vitamin D do?
We came to the mixed part about vitamin D. Because there is a lot of misinformation on this subject – thanks to social media. Let’s examine the relationship between vitamin D deficiency and disease.
Sunlight and vitamin D production
Since the beginning of the article, we have talked about the intake of vitaminD from outside. Now it is time for vitamin D to be produced in the body.
VitaminD can be produced on the skin using cholesterol. VitaminD produced on the skin is called vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol). Sunbathing, which we frequently recommend especially for individuals with low vitaminD, is a method that significantly increases vitaminD levels. For this reason, sunbathing is a very valuable way.
I would like to point out that there are a few points to be aware of here. Let me list the important points.
- Primarily, vitaminD is produced by the ultraviolet B dimension of sunlight. Since it is produced together with sunlight, the steeper sunlight contains more UV-B waves and provides more vitaminD production.
Here, latitudes are very important in terms of the angle of incidence of the sun. Let me give an example to understand the seriousness of the job.
There are studies showing that there is a difference in cancer risk between two American states that are farther from the equator than the other.
- Darker individuals absorb less ultraviolet B light, so less vitaminD is produced in their skin.
There are multiple conclusions to be drawn from these important points. By paying attention to these points, you can produce more vitaminD and increase your blood vitaminD levels more efficiently.
For more effective vitaminD production, you should prefer noon when sunlight is steep. As a mouthing habit – thanks to magazine-based medical science – many televisions do not recommend going out in the sunlight at noon in the summer; If you want vitaminD production, you should prefer noon.
Of course, I don’t want you to be sunburned. For this reason, I recommend you not to keep your sunbathing time longer than half an hour at noon.
The sunscreen really provides great protection. This protection is so strong that it even covers the ultraviolet B wavelength from the sun. As I explained above, blocking ultraviolet B, the wavelength that produces vitaminD while sunbathing, means that you cannot produce vitaminD at all. For this reason, you should not use sunscreen for at least the first half-hour while sunbathing.
Many women constantly use sunscreen to prevent their skin from aging. Studies show that long-term and continuous use of sunscreen can lead to vitaminD deficiency. You have beautiful skin but I know you don’t want to be a sick person. For this reason, it is useful to limit the use of sunscreen.
How is vitamin D used?
First of all, I would like to point out that vitaminD intake does not depend on a simple mechanism as intake of other vitamins. Because with vitaminD intake, you are not only getting a “vitamin” but a hormone.
For this reason, it is very important that you do not take vitaminD without checking your blood vitaminD levels.
I want you to know that too much vitaminD intake causes many unpleasant side effects such as kidney stones.
Depending on the severity of vitaminD deficiency, season, age, and gender, vitaminD levels vary.
Studies show that taking vitamin K with vitaminD increases the existing benefits several times.
If you want to know the normal level of vitaminD values and how much vitaminD to use, How long does it take for vitaminD levels to increase? You can read my article.
How can we get it?
Vitamin D we get from food is not enough by itself to meet your dietary needs. This is where you need sunlight. For this, it is sufficient to get 15-20 minutes of sunlight from the face, arms and legs for light-skinned people and a half or one hour for dark-skinned ones without applying high-factor sunscreen three days a week in summer and autumn. Ultraviolet rays taken from behind glass do not provide vitamin D synthesis.
What is our daily need?
Although it may vary according to the geography and season inhabited, generally recommended;
- 400IU for infants aged 0-12 months, 600IU for everyone between the ages of 1-70,
- 800IU for those over 70 years old, and 600IU for pregnant or newly delivered women.
Which foods are they found in?
Few foods contain vitamin D directly inactive form. For this reason, many foods are enriched in vitamin D. Especially in countries with little use of sunlight…
– Fatty fish such as sardines, salmon, tuna, and mackerel are among the best sources of vitamin D.
Contains small amounts of beef liver, milk, cheese, egg yolk, and cocoa.
Vitamin D is found in some mushrooms, especially in mushrooms exposed to ultraviolet rays.
Most brands of milk in America are enriched with 400 IU of vitamin D per liter. There are also enriched milk in our country.
– In addition, some brands of soy milk, breakfast cereals, orange juice, yogurt, and margarine are among the enriched products.
Vitamin D and health: Summary
- Vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of many diseases. Some of these can be listed as obesity, insulin resistance, and cancer.
- Low vitamin D levels reduce the risk of obesity and may disrupt the weight loss mechanism.
- Low vitamin D levels in athletes may cause later recovery of traumas and decrease performance.
- In order to increase the production of vitamin D on the skin, sunbathing is required at noon and without sunscreen.
- Vitamin D intake should not be taken without checking blood levels. You should definitely arrange vitamin D supplements with your doctor.
- Vitamin D should not be taken alone. Vitamins A and K should be added.